The nice thing about this particular Saturday was that our friend Peter graciously let us come stay at his apartment for the weekend so we could get out of the hotel. He was to head out of town so we’d have the place to ourselves. Imagine the fun a one year old (or 37 year old) can have running loose in an unfurnished loft apartment in SoHo. Lead poisoning was like the greatest thing to ever happen to him!
A friend had also invited me to a girl’s dinner at the Waverly Inn that night and I planned on wearing the Phillip Lim dress one of my clients gave me. Let me tell you, it was fun to play fancy for a night. You have to have a secret code to get into the Waverly Inn and I won’t lie, catching a cab on W Broadway in a designer dress to go out to a dinner where Ron Howard is seated at the table next to you is not a bad way to live your life, even if it’s just for one night.
If you’d like to know a little more about the Waverly Inn (Helloooo NaNa Kit!), read on—if not, I’ll spare you the gory details by suggesting you stop reading here!
Fun Facts about the Waverly Inn—
1. It is owned by Graydon Carter who is the editor of Vanity Fair magazine. I know what you’re thinking and you’re wrong. It’s a coincidence.
2. The food is just ok, people don’t really go for the food.
3. They have a $75 macaroni and cheese dish. It’s priced this way because it is covered with shaved white truffles flown in from Middle Earth. Because we were a party of 6 we decided to order it so we could all taste it and I’ll tell you this, it was pretty good.
4. If this is something that you think is fun (and you know who you are!)—the likes of Gwyneth, Madonna, Elizabeth Hurley, Hugh Grant, P. Diddy, Beyonce, Jay-Z, Lindsey Lohan, Renee Zellweger, Janet Jackson, Kanye, Maria Carey, Ivanka Trump, Fergie, Bruce Willis, Jennifer Aniston, Mayor Bloomberg, Jennifer Lopez, Ryan Reynolds. Jessica Alba, Rihanna, Calvin Klein, Karl Lagerfeld, Naomi Watts, Diane Von Furstenberg, Ralph Lauren and The Beckhams all frequent the restaurant.
I’ve been there twice now and I don’t understand why no paparazzi waits for me when I leave. (In fact, I am of so little consequence a waiter nearly body-chucked me against the wall to get to a menu stand I was blocking rather than simply saying, ‘pardon me, Madame.’)
5. The whole place is dark wood with red leather chairs and banquettes. There is a mural painted on the wall by Edward Sorel of the New Yorker which depicts 43 different artists who hail from an era of Greenwich Village gone by. Capote, Albe, Nin, Baez, Brando, Poe, etc. There was a book released with photos of the mural and a brief description of each of it’s characters. For more info on the book you can click the link below.
Here’s a photo of the chef in the space with the murals behind him…
Fortified by my $10 bite of macaroni and cheese, we spent the remainder of the weekend plotting our next move. We received some clarification on the legal aspects of our situation and fed the baby more eggs, spinach, raisins and prunes than anyone should really ever eat. We decided that regardless of whether we’re going back to the apartment or moving on, it would be better if I took the baby to Florida to visit his Grandparents until the dust settled.